Salon management can be complex and challenging. Managing staff, attracting new customers and running the day to day of the salon can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. With these easy to implement steps, you will have a better understanding of how best to manage your salon.
Below, we cover the following elements required to successfully manage a hair salon
- Training and recruiting
- Motivating your team
- Managing salon stock
- Organising a salon
- Salon marketing
Top tips on how to manage a hair salon business
Training and recruiting
The key thing to consider is the people you are hiring as they are the face of your company. You don’t want to leave customers unhappy with their hair.
What you can do:
- Invest in training or recruiting as this is key to successful salon management. Hiring a professional to train your staff with different techniques, and preferably with more advanced skills, to ensure your employees are confident in their job. Making sure your staff are up to date with the latest trends and expertise will give your clients an even better experience.
- Hire the skill sets most needed in your salon. Explain to new hires what you expect of them so no issues can arise in the future. Make sure, specifically, that they have a positive attitude in order to create an enjoyable atmosphere, not only for the team but also for customers as well.
Did you know that 43% of highly engaged employees receive feedback at least once a week, meaning the chances of getting positive reviews increase when you hire the right staff. Not only is this great exposure for your salon, it will also result in a much more knowledgeable team.
Motivating your team
Creating a positive and motivational environment will make your staff feel much more comfortable and excited about coming to work every day, which will, in turn, have a positive impact on your customers.
After all, employees work 20% better when motivated, so this will also have a positive effect on the productivity in your salon.
Some key ways you can keep your team motivated are:
- Be supportive
- Compliment their work
- Give them responsibilities to make them feel valued
- Speak to them more about their hobbies and interests
- Have a positive attitude towards your team
- Have a rewarding system (e.g. the person with the best feedback, gets a voucher)
Managing salon stock
It’s important to stay on top of your stock and inventory to ensure you have everything you need to run your business. You should have every supply ready to be used.
Making sure that you have extra products (specifically hair dyes) will ensure that the operations run smoothly. If your stock runs low, you may end up with an unsatisfied customer and a risk to your reputation.
This is really important during the festive season – you don’t want to get into panic mode at the last minute!
Here are some things you can do to get organised for the festive season:
- Figure out what the most popular hair colour is and stock up on it.
- Christmas is also a great time to promote your company with many discounts, offers and gift cards.
Organising a salon
Salon owners and managers need to ensure that they’re able to organise themselves really well in order for their business to run smoothly.
After all, it can be really hard to be in charge of so many things at once. Did you know you could let Shortcuts do most of the complicated work for you? All you have to do is provide us with the information and we will provide you with the services that best suit you.
We advise you to use SMS marketing alongside social media marketing. With our clients, we have seen a vast increase in traffic as it has become a large part of millennials’ lives, with 72% of them saying they send 10 or more texts a day.
By using our marketing and SMS marketing features, you won’t need to worry about ways to increase traffic.
Here’s how to send out the best SMS marketing messages:
- Welcome your new guests
- Target people who live in a closer radius of your salon, as there is no need to message individuals which have a lower likelihood of coming to your salon
- Make sure you give promotions to customers that have visited your salon more than once
- Send appointment reminders to ensure people attend their appointments
- Personalise each message
Successfully manage your hair salon business with Shortcuts
We understand that managing a salon can be challenging. The key takeaway is to make sure you have the right processes and steps in place to ensure your business runs smoothly.
Did you know that you can save time and money by automating many of your processes?
Shortcuts Salon Software can assist your business by streamlining your processes and saving you time. With our features, you can set up an automatic email to be sent to a client after their appointment, which can facilitate easy access for them to leave a glowing review.